27th Squadron

27th Squadron was formed at Florennes AB on September 1st, 1951.

3 months later, on December 20th, the Squadron relocated to Chièvres AB, to form, together with 23rd Squadron and 31st Squadron, the 10th Wing, starting off with a dozen Spitfire XIV, a single Harvard and some Oxford's.

One year later the Spitfires were already leaving and being replaced by the Republic F-84E "Thunderjet", who, in turn were replaced in 1952 by the more powerful F-84G "Thunderjet".

In May 1956 the third version of the F-84 entered service.  This F84-F "Thunderstreak" also announced the Supersonic-age in Belgium.  New strategies were being developed; one of them the QRA (Quick Reaction Alert) was activated in 1960.

This was the last operational feat of the Black Panthers, before being converted to an Operational Training Unit the same year.

1962 was a dark year for the Squadron, due to reorganisations within the Belgian Air Force it was disbanded on June 4th.

 

  27th Virtual Squadron

 ITEMS PICTURED ON THIS PAGE ARE NOT FOR TRADE OR SALE

home